BCC Ocean Art Competition 21st June 2013
Second Annual Oceans Art Competition of the Benguela Current Commission
The Benguela Current Commission (BCC) is hosting its Second Annual Oceans Art Competition from 21st - 28th June 2013 as part of the World Oceans Day Celebrations.
World Oceans Day is an opportunity every year to honour the world's oceans, celebrate the products the ocean provides as well as marine life itself for aquariums and pets. It is also a time to appreciate its own intrinsic value. The ocean provides sea-lanes and trade routes that are essential for international trade. Global pollution and over-exploitation of many fish species have resulted in the majority of the oceans being under severe pressure.The theme for World Oceans Day 2013 is “Together we have the power to protect the ocean”. The aim is to challenge participants and especially the YOUTH to view ocean protection as a way of life, with a special emphasis around World Oceans Day each year.Young people are the most knowledgeable and motivated segment of the population when it comes to the environment and its protection.
An Oceans Art Competition was launched on the 15th of April 2013, whereby coastal learners are invited to take part in the art competition. The theme of the art competition is “Protect my ocean” and the competition will run from 15th April and culminates in the prize giving ceremony on 28th June 2013. The final date for the submission of art work for the Oceans Art Competition is 21st June 2013.
There are four categories in the art competition namely:
- Junior Primary (Grade 1-4)
- Senior Primary (Grade 5-7)
- Junior Secondary (Grade 8-10)
- Senior Secondary (Grade 11-12)
A panel of experts will evaluate the submitted artwork and a number of selected pieces will be publicly displayed at the NAMIBIAN JEWELLERS & ARTS GALLERY from the 21-27 June 2013.
Guidelines for Artwork:
- 2-D (two dimensional) - any art work that is flat such as photographs, paintings, drawings, photographs, watercolour, printmaking fabrics and mixing.
- 3-D (three dimensional) - is more in depth and detailed to make it seem more real-istic such as sculptures, clay art, pottery, fibbers, ceramics, draft wood or really any-thing that can be handled, touched or perceived to be three dimensional; and Fashion items - such as handbags, hats and jewellery made from recycled materials collected from the beach.
The panel of experts will judge the artwork submitted in the various categories and will decide on the winners. The Art Competition prize-giving ceremony is to be held on 21st June 2013and prizes will be awarded in the four different categories for the best artwork listed above.
In conclusion, the Ocean Art Competition’s aim is to encourage learners to visually express, through art, the importance of the ocean.
- 14 June 2013: Due date for delivering the Art work at the BCC Secretariat Office
- 21 June 2013: Art Exhibition Opening 18h30 (Speaker BCC)
- 21-27 June 2013: Public voting
- 28 June 2013 Prize giving 18h00 at the Namibian Jewellers & Art Gallery (Awards by BCC)
Type of Prizes
- Primary School 6 winners (Ocean books and voucher for Stationary) N$350-N$ 1000.00
- Secondary School 6 winners (Vouchers for Marine Tours and Stationary) N$500 - N$2000.00
- Teacher with the most student entry’s (Vouchers or gift Hampers) N$ 500.00
List of Sponsors
- Naras Investments
- Namibian Jewellers & Art Gallery
- Earth Art
For more information: Paul T.NDJAMBULA | Young Professional Associate | BCLME SAP-IMP Project | Tel: +26464-406901 |